This list is forever growing as we learn and work towards building our homestead.
Some would say we are living without – but sometimes less is more.
1. We created this site and blog to share with others on how we are achieving this goal.
2. We are working towards growing most of our own veggies, herbs and fruit to eat and we still buy and when we do we always try to buy from local farmers first.
3. We choose not to have cable or direct tv.
4. I ditched my hair dryer and have been letting my hair air dry most days.
5. We make our own home cleaners and pesticides so we can be free from harsh chemicals!
6. We compost to use in our garden.
7. The guys are building the chicken coop in their free time, hopefully we’ll have it up soon so we can have our own fresh eggs!
8. We think “healthy first” when it has to do with what we eat and drink.
9. We are continuing to add to the list of things we can reuse or up cycle. If we can’t then we recycle or donate it.
10. We have plans to start using rain barrels and we are working on wasting less water if at all possible.
11. We are looking into alternative energy either solar or wind power.
12. We are eating less meat and only eat it about 3 times a week.
13. We make all our own natural shampoo, toothpaste, laundry soap and more.
14. We are buying less new – if we can buy quality used or second hand we do.
15. We turn off the lights if we aren’t in a room and we switched all light fixtures to the energy saving bulbs.
16. We have a root cellar, we use it and love it!
17. We use a clothes line during the summer.
18. We will be restoring our fireplace so we can use it during the winter for heat.
19. We are eating more fresh raw food, which means less power for cooking.
20. We take our trips into town more wisely to use less fuel and save money!
21. We’re in the planning stage of building a greenhouse.
22. We will be setting up aquaponics asap, so we’ll have plenty of new gardening experiences and fish!
23. We live in a earth berm house. (and we’ll make a post on the benefits of one soon)
24. The guys are currently setting up and building goat housing so we can have dairy goats!
These are just some of the things we are trying and are doing now. You can expect to be hearing a lot about the last 4 topics listed in our blog because these are things we are very excited about and we’ll have lots to share as we take each step into building our homestead!
Everyone is different and I know many people who do much more than what I’ve listed. It’s not easy it’s an adjustment if all you’ve known is otherwise and for some it may come easier. I know some who choose to live without a fridge, freezer and such. We choose to still have these household appliances, I believe whatever it is you do to be more self-sufficient good for you!
It’s a work in progress and we are always excited to learn what others are doing – care to comment and share what it is you do or are planning on doing?
ILLUSTRATION FROM: DORLING KINDERSLEY